We went to Iceland on our way back to the States. A logical stopover being "on the way" back to D.C. A land of beauty, "fire and ice," they say. It couldn't have been truer. Thousands of words won't do justice to those pictures we lost when our camera decided to take a holiday of its own.
If we could, we would post the picture of the guest house we stayed in. It was fittingly called "Our House." People from Germany, Italy, America, Australia, Taiwan, and Hong Kong coming "home" together. Endless cups of coffee, bowls of cereal and talk of hopes, dreams, impressions, opinions. Laughter. A place where wanderers want to stay a while.
We'd post a picture of the martian landscape. Desolation interrupted by flowing rivers, fault lines, geysers, steam rising from the volcanic ground, rock formations newly born. Of land always in flux pouring forth pounding waterfalls encrusted in rainbow. Immense lakes of blue, the way God must have imagined blue. Glaciers that paint the horizon white. Snow that comes briefly, renewing uniqueness and beauty, making a common place into an exciting adventure. Of vast oceans below towering mesas. And a sun that enjoys its winter rest.
And we'd post pictures of the city Reykjavik. Euro-Island style. Bright and optimistic. Homes of white, red, lime, and blue. A rainbow of a town. Wind, fishing boats, high steepled churches, coffee shops, museums and walks in the cold.
Moments pass too quickly. Often I sit, stare and gather the sounds, sights and feelings. I wish my eyes were a camera to capture each movement, glance and fragrance. I wish I had energy at the end of the day to scribble each detail of the day past. Yet life pours on experience and the past is easily forgotten. I forget where I have come from and what I have learned. Life passes so quickly!
But if God keeps our future than surely He keeps our past. Quickly I forget... but He has known our story.
No comments:
Post a Comment